Monday, June 21, 2010

First Commision Terrain - Part 1

This is part 1 in what will hopefully be a on going and as in depth as I can handle making it on painting of Forge World terrain. I will be starting with one large piece of ruin and two smaller pieces as well which were part of the Cityfight line of terrain that FW was doing previously. There will be more pieces to follow as all of this commission job is in trade for the compressor that I ordered last week.

When I got the terrain it had already been trimmed and most of the flashing had been removed. So with that I had little to remove from the pieces but they were quite dusty and had never been thoroughly cleaned to remove the release agent. So that was the real step number one...

Items Required:
Oven Cleaner
A good outdoor location

I rinsed the terrain quickly to remove the dust that had built up on them and then let them dry. With the detail this took quite some time this was really a hold up quite a few times. When dry I took everything outside and sprayed the Ruins with a good coat of the oven cleaner which then I had to leave for two hours for it to do its job. I use oven cleaner because it is an amazing greaser which will break down the release agent that FW uses on its molds.

After the oven cleaner has gotten a chance to work its magic on the release agent it was time to pop on those gloves and scrub the pieces with some soapy water and our brush. After a good rinse and a few hours drying it was time to shake up a nice can of Grey primer and give it a good thin even coat of primer.

Next will be the painting. So as soon as I get in the Compressor which should be arriving tomorrow so we shall start the good part then.

The Hunt

To be honest my spirits were down after my army got stolen as you can see in the archive of this blog I had spent some serious time and really worked on those models lucky for me the insurance company let me quote them for the models being painted by a painting service. So with the refund check in my possession and a new compressor for my airbrush on its way I have been searching for good deals on replacement Sisters of Battle. I had found an amazing deal on Dakka Dakka with someone locally but he was sorta non responsive and when I finally thought we had reached a deal and I was planning on driving an hour and a half to go pick up the models and hand him the cash he bailed and "sold it to a friend". If he really did that's fine but I was frustrated since it was almost exactly what I had stolen from me.

Now I am working on two different deals that compliment each other quite nicely and will help me get enough Sisters for 6 full 10 woman squads with special weapons then when I go to Games Day I want to get a ton of Forge World so to complete the army. The deals also include some other units that may not be amazingly useful or get used often like Arcoflagglents but they will round out the army nicely. I will update with what I end up later on:-P

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Up the pressure.

While updates on this blog are quite infrequent and I often seem to give up on all the projects, I have not stopped painting or working on any of them. I have kept the camera right next to me as I slowly work on my miniatures and hop between projects, I will upload all of those pictures and add some posts to her to show what I have been working on in due time.
I have finally started working again with the airbrush and realized I really cant work with the compressor that I currently have it simply doesn't do the job. The pressure is too low for the paint I am trying to push through it, not to mention since it doesn't have a tank what pressure it does have is quite inconsistent. Due to this I am going to be doing some commission painting jobs, a friend of mine has a ton of Forge World terrain that he built but never actually painted. He suggested we work a deal out to get some of it painted and he can help with the purchase of a decent compressor. I figure if I'm going to get into this I may as well get a good one instead of a loud or just not good.